Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Self-discipline Upgrade

Leo Babauta shares his ideas on how to deal with a lack of discipline on Zen Habits. Generally I love this man's ideas. He seems to be a man who thinks and commits. However, this time, I don't agree.

Although I am often viewed as a man with self-discipline, I constantly feel that I'm not there yet. And in trying to get more "discipline" I went into the walls (or illusions) Leo's talking about in the very article. Do I stop? Or do I torture myself with the idea of self-improvement?

I would say that with a already well-disciplined person, Leo's advice would work out well; however, when I can clearly see the spot of improvement (e.g., wasting too much time surfing the internet), I would definitely go for it. I have long lost the habit of wandering around the bookstores--there are more efficient ways to get knowledge; and I currently have no internet connection on weekends, which I find not as unbearable as one would expect from the beginning. There are times when you should just forgive yourself, but don't give up if you can see the PATH. Motivation, making things easy, and focusing on the fun are all good tips--sometimes. But there are times when you feel that you need super motivations to get going, because some tasks are so boring... Yet the achievement (and joy) from trudging through and finally crashing the obstacles can be overwhelming. And I always believe that if I keep entertaining myself, I will stay where I am and cannot improve. The idea of improving everyday has become my biggest motivation. As little as this motivation may seem, it works for me (at least half of the time).

No comments: